System recommendations for Logger Pro 3.14 (released April 2017) and Logger Lite 1.9.2 (released May 2017):
Any computer purchased in the past three years will be more than adequate for running Logger Pro or Logger Lite. If your computer is that recent, there's no need to read further.
To do basic data collection with a small number (fewer than 500) of data points without the use of any video features, we recommend the following as a minimum:
• Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, 32- or 64-bit
• Processor running at 500 MHz or faster (Windows 10 requires a 1 GHz processor).
• 512 MB total minimum RAM (Windows 10 needs at least 1 GB for 32 bit versions and at least 2 GB for 64 bit versions of the operating system.)
• 380 MB of hard disk space for a minimum installation (830 MB free is recommended temporarily during installation.)
• Available USB or serial port (only LabPro uses a serial port; all other devices require USB.)
• macOS 10.10.5, 10.11.6 or 10.12
• 2 GB RAM
• 200 MB of hard disk space for a minimum installation (550 MB free is recommended temporarily during installation.)
• Available USB port
Using the video capture features of Logger Pro requires a faster processor and more memory than listed above. In general, faster computers with more RAM will work more smoothly with movies. Dropped or skipped frames are symptoms of inadequate RAM or processors.
Windows for video and optimum performance:
• 3 GHz processor or faster
• 1 GB RAM minimum, 2 GB Windows 64 bit OS
• 1.3 GB of hard disk space for a full installation plus additional hard disk space for movies as needed
• Available USB 2 or firewire port
A DV camera will require either a firewire or USB 2 port, depending on the camera used.
Macintosh for video and optimum performance:
• OS X 10.10.5, 10.11.6, 10.12
• 2 GB RAM minimum, 4 GB or better is recommended
• 220 MB of hard disk space for a full installation plus space for movies as needed (QuickTime is natively resident on Macintosh computers.)
The WDSS Wireless Dynamics Sensor System, order code WDSS, $249 requires a Bluetooth-enabled computer to work with Logger Pro. You can add a USB Bluetooth radio to computers; see Bluetooth USB Adapter, order code BLUE-USB, $35.
We also have versions of Logger Pro that will run on older operating systems but will not support all new features. To see a complete list of which version of Logger Pro to use with each operating system, please see:
TIL 2716: How do I access Logger Pro 3 installers and passwords from my account on the Vernier website?
TIL 1864: Does my netbook work with Vernier software?
TIL 1668: Will Logger Pro run in a 64-bit version of Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8?
TIL 3038: Is your software compatible with Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks?
TIL 2439: Is your software compatible with Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion?
TIL 265: Do you have Logger Pro for Linux?
TIL 2814: Does Logger Pro run on Windows RT? Does Logger Pro run on the Microsoft Surface?
TIL 1071: Will Logger Pro or Logger Lite work in a thin client environment?
TIL 2361: What is the minimum version of Logger Pro/Lite I can use with my hardware?